My WordPress Blog

Expunging Juvenile Records

Expunging your juvenile records can be the best choice that you ever make. If you let them, your juvenile arrests can follow you around for the rest of your life. Any time that you apply for a job, your prospective employer can find this information about you. From there, they may make their decisions based on the fact that you have a juvenile record. Nobody wants to be turned down from a job because of a few mistakes that they made when they were young.

Everyone makes mistakes. When we are young, we make even more mistakes. Sometimes this can lead to unfortunate consequences. If you would like to expunge your juvenile record, there are a few things that you should know.

Expungement is a type of lawsuit. Through this process, the person who was the subject of a criminal proceeding or investigation tries to get the records sealed or destroyed. Even though there is a criminal matter at stake, the process is a civil action. This means that the person trying to expunge his or her record becomes a plaintiff to the court. New Mexico’s Expungement Act lawyer

If expungement is successful, there are two possible outcomes that depend on the jurisdiction in which your records are kept. One possibility is for your records to be completely destroyed. If this is the case, the records are physically gone and cannot be used against you ever again. The other possibility is that your records are sealed from the public. While your records still exist, they cannot be accessed or used against you except by law enforcement in certain situations. Once this happens, you do not have to admit to the expunged items unless you are being questioned under oath.

In Texas, the law will allow expungement on arrests that did not lead to conviction. If an arrest led to the arresting being found guilty, the record cannot be expunged. It is also possible to get class C misdemeanors expunged from your record as long as the defendant received deferred adjudication and completed community supervision. However, if you pled guilty or no contest or were found guilty of anything other than a class C misdemeanor, you cannot expunge it from your record.



Leave a Comment